After the completion of the term and the year, I can confidently say that I successfully undertook the post-production period of my thesis film and created a film that I am proud of. My film is fully rendered and completed and I’ve written up a production book that clearly documents the process of my film.
I believe my strengths during this period came within the lighting and rendering of the film. In previous projects I’ve always not given much thought or effort when it came to the lighting, as I didn’t really know how to light a scene properly. So when it came to it for my thesis film I knew I wanted to put the time and effort into it so it would boost my film. So, I sat down and spoke with both Andy and Rob who helped me understand where and how I could light my scenes to achieve the best result, as well as this they also taught me about “Three-Point-Lighting” which was very handy as helped bring the characters in the shots come out instead of blending in with the background. As for the rendering I think my scheduling and management if the process and improved from previous projects. Because the film was split into shots it took longer to render, but it meant it was more manageable because I was able to work out how long each shot would take and spread them out on multiple machines easily, the only downside was waiting machines to be free but with the Waverley building being open on weekends it meant I could take up as many machines as possible to speed up the process.
As for my weaknesses there’s not much to comment on other than I wish I was more organised and committed with the write up. I was really on point with the writing at the beginning as I started it in Easter break to leave me with enough time to complete it, but as the weeks went by, I got a bit lazy by not adding anything to it whenever I had free time. Though I managed to finish it up I wish I left myself more time to lay it out better than I did, so I could’ve handed in the physical copy at the same time as the deadline.
Overall I am pleased with my performance on the post-production part of the film as well as the year as a whole, and I’m proud of the completed film that I created. If I was to do the post-production work again I would leave myself enough time to focus on the layout of the write up as well as include more references for research in the write up, as I think I would’ve included more if I didn’t run out of space to put them.