After finishing this project I can confidently say that I have created a fly-through of 4 rooms that I’ve based of my character Ray Sunshine, and that I have stuck to the brief accordingly by producing a 1 minute animation at 24FPS in the correct format, as well as upload sketches that lead up to the final product and a storyboard that clearly outlines my plan for the animation.
I believe that my strengths within this project were definitely the modelling and animating of the animation. I managed to quickly get to grips with the software, mostly because of my 3D background at college, as well as get to grips with animating the camera and utilising the keyframes to my advantage if I made a mistake. Although I wish that I used the smooth tool a lot more in environment, to make it look a lot neater and smooth, than just boxy and flat. And also I wish I could of added a lot more objects to environment especially in the second room, like a ventilation shaft or a poster or two, but because of time constraints had to cut back on some objects that I originally planned on adding in the 4 rooms.
As for my weaknesses within this project, I think that the lighting of the environment as well as the Time Management were the weakest. With the lighting I had mostly been using Maya’s Software Render to see what my scene looked like with the lights, eventually I switched to Mental Ray because it gave the render a lot more detail than Maya did, and when I did it made my lights look a lot darker than I originally set them as well as making the spotlight I put in the shrine look foggy and dirty than I had intended, so that meant I had to brighten and change most of the lights within my scene before I could render, although as you can see in the final animation I didn’t do to good of a job. As for my Time management for the animation I had a knack for putting off production on the modelling because I wanted to make sure that I had everything thought out before I went diving into creating, which eventually resulted in me running out of time and had to cut short on what to model and what not to model.
If I was to re-do this project or continue with the project in my spare time, I would definitely make sure to experiment and constantly check with the lighting to remain on it being too dark for the render as well as seeing what Maya can do with its many lighting settings. I would also make sure I don’t spend too much time with the planning stages of the environment as it will cut down the time I have left to even make it in Maya.
Overall a good attempt at the project.