After a lot discussions with tutors, peers and my inner demons, I’ve finally finished the rough, first version of my storyboard.
Let me tell you this was a very strenuous process. Mostly because I’m terrible at storyboards, but also I felt I was doing too much than I needed to do, and was panicking that my story was going to be longer than I wanted it to be, and so I was constantly going back and altering things so it wouldn’t be as long. But never the less it’s done. and with it I can proceed with the animatic, so I can see if my story is not as long as I fear it to be, as well as to see if it all fits together and reads well, not only to me, but also to the audience.
Also I came across this useful website/blog – Ian Freer, illustrations by Olly Gibbs. 2017. The Camera Angles You Need To Know – Empire . [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/film-studies-101-camera-shots-styles/. [Accessed 22 November 2017]. Which talks and discuss the different types of shots that are used in film and other medias. This was helpful because whilst writing up each shot that I was using, I couldn’t remember which one was which plus also gave me some inspiration for some shots that I may change.
Finally got the new designs of Shay and Kodi inked and coloured up. I’m a lot happier with the designs now, definitely closer to what I originally wanted from the start. You can also notice that I have changed the colour of the boys clothes. This was because I thought that the original colours didn’t necessarily fit with the lighting that I wanted to achieve within the film. So they needed new colours, and not just random ones, ones that would match with the colour palette of my film.
To create the colour palette I opened up Adobe Color CC, and used one of the references that I used in one of my blogs to describe the type of lighting I wanted, and used the colour wheel to replicate the tree.
With the palette done, I whacked it into Photoshop and used the pen tool to adjust colour whilst keeping with the palette and applied it to the characters.
I spoke to Debra the other day about what research I should do for the blog, as I felt as if I needed to do some more research for the film but I didn’t know where to focus it. She told me do Visual Research into the environment of my film and talk about what I could include, what inspires me, why I want to include it, etc… as well as talk a bit more about the lighting.
As I’ve said before the lighting I wanted to try and replicate is something similar to that of Firewatch. They have a nice Orange/Teal colour palette going on, and the lighting complements the outdoors theme of the game, but I feel as if it doesn’t quite fit the style of the characters that I have, unless I add a bit more detail to them which I don’t want to do.
So I decided to have a look at other examples, and eventually ended up looking at some images of the woods of Adventure Time, and seen as my style is very similar to AT I figured it’ll be a good example to replicate, and it looks easier to achieve as well.
Reference of people walking through Forests:
To help with how I’m going to make my trees as well as how dense I want the woodland to be, I going look at some examples of people walking in forest and woodlands just get an idea of how my characters are going to journey the woodland of my film.
One way I could approach is have them walking straight through woodland, have the trees very tall and skinny with a lot of bushy areas to block their view. But I feel as if this would be unnecessary and would take too much time to do.
Another way I could approach it is a path cutting through the forest that the brothers can walk down. This was my original idea, and I’m going use it, but thanks to looking at some examples I know how dense to make the forests and what style of trees I can use.
Between my sessions of doing my Storyboard I’ve been drawing up the t-poses for my characters. This, in my opinion, is the best T-Poses that I’ve done so far as I’ve managed to level everything up to one another e.g. the front face shape and features being level to the side face.
With the T-poses done I’ve made a start to modelling Shay’s body. I’m by the time I’ve managed the basic shape of Shay’s full body I can use it to cheat a little bit and re-scale it to Kodi’s height, so it would save me time of having to create another model from scratch.
After completing my Story Beats for my film, I began to put together the Storyboard for the film. I started with the opening as it’s the most concrete, no need for additions, scene for the film.
This is only a rough Storyboard but I’m quite happy with what I’ve got so far, I’m managing to convey the scenes well, as well as establishing the relationship between the characters, and I’m managing to keep a steady pace of cracking these out.