After completing this assignment I can confidently say that I have produced a 1 minute(ish) 3D animation where a Zombie and a Robot arm interact with one another.
I would say that my strengths within this project has been shown mostly in the 3D stages of the process especially in the modelling and rigging stages as well as the generating my ideas. Within the modelling stages I was able to make a very convincing Zombie and robot arms, I went for the cartoon, 1950’s style which peer say I captured, and I was able to model both arms within the span of 2 and a 1/2 days, plus a peer mentioned that they liked the way my Zombie’s nails looked. With the rigging it was very easy to pick up after watching a couple of tutorials, I was able to make the skeleton for my Zombie arm and attach the skin to it, as well as apply controllers for both of them that turned out to be very easy to control. As for the animating of the project, it was very quick and simple to complete, although I did use up a lot of frames exceeding over 2000 which meant that I had to cut down on what I could include, even though when I rendered and edited the footage I still had about 10 seconds of space left that I could of use, perhaps I may of set up render wrong or that I didn’t set up the timeline correctly. And as for the idea stages I was able to come up with concrete story for the animation after a couple changes to the story and design of the characters.
As for my weaknesses within the project I would say they mostly shown within some of the animating as well as the planning for the animation. Like I had mentioned before I had exceeded the frame limit of my animation which was originally 1440 frames by 2000+ which wasn’t such a big deal because I knew within the editing I could of cut out any unnecessary parts out, but as I rendered the animation and whacked it in Premier Pro, the animation was very slow which meant I had to speed up the animation a little which resulted in the animation being 30-40 seconds long (before Editing) which meant I had a lot more time for me add the parts that I had to cut originally. As for the planning for the project it wasn’t as some of the previous projects although once again I was still a bit late when it came to starting modelling the arms, this was mostly because I didn’t to rush in with modelling until I was happy what my story was and what characters looked like, because at that point I will still not sure how I was going to model the Robot arm or even what it would look like, plus not knowing about the university being closed for two days on the last week was a pain as well. And lastly I think the Rendering could of gone better, what I mean by this is that when I began rendering I had it set up on 1 machine and left it, but after 2 hours I saw that the rendering was taking longer than I expected, so to speed thing up I set up similar renders on other machines that started and finished on different frames, which was a good idea until I realised that on the other machines I forgot to apply the background that was turned off at the time. It wasn’t a big deal because you couldn’t notice it in the editing fazes, but as I tried to mess with the brightness and contrast of the animation I notice the difference between that you can notice in some of the scenes, although it’s a slight difference it’s still something that I should remember not to do next time.
If I was to re-do this project I believe the first thing I would do is to include parts that were cut out in the final version of the animation because feel as if it would have made the animation lot more clearer to understand in the first viewing, as well as checking that I have set up the timeline of the animation so that when it comes to editing I don’t have to slow down or speed up any of the parts. Also I would make sure that when it comes to the finalisation of the designs that I would continuously check with peers and tutors to see if my ideas and design were good enough to proceed with, so that when I plan out my schedule, I won’t need to rush.
Freesound.org. 2016. Freesound.org – “Bomb Arming” by snakebarney. [ONLINE] Available at:https://www.freesound.org/people/snakebarney/sounds/138101/. [Accessed 05 June 2016].
Freesound.org. 2016. Freesound.org – “BallKick.wav” by mikaelfernstrom. [ONLINE] Available at:https://www.freesound.org/people/mikaelfernstrom/sounds/68650/. [Accessed 05 June 2016].
Freesound.org. 2016. Freesound.org – “01673 robotics move.wav” by Robinhood76. [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.freesound.org/people/Robinhood76/sounds/95120/. [Accessed 05 June 2016].
Freesound.org. 2016. Freesound.org – “low mid afar explosion 1.wav” by Veiler. [ONLINE] Available at:https://www.freesound.org/people/Veiler/sounds/264031/. [Accessed 05 June 2016].
Freesound.org. 2016. Freesound.org – “Church Bell” by CosmicEmbers. [ONLINE] Available at:https://www.freesound.org/people/CosmicEmbers/sounds/160689/. [Accessed 05 June 2016].
Freesound.org. 2016. Freesound.org – “Roomtone With Window Open.wav” by constructabeat. [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.freesound.org/people/constructabeat/sounds/258390/. [Accessed 05 June 2016].